Pages

Monday, April 15, 2019

So, to Recap...

Friends, if you missed the 2019 Alabama Book Festival in Montgomery, you missed another great one. The festival celebrates authors and writers from Alabama or authors who have written about some aspect of the state over the past year.

I can’t tell you how much fun it is to hang out with fellow authors to commiserate and celebrate. Away from our book signing table and panel discussions we talk about marketing, publishers, toss ideas out at one another. A great time with plenty of information for authors who are published through traditional imprints or go the self-publishing route.

The lineup was phenomenal. I especially enjoyed hearing from Frye Gaillard as he talked about his latest book, A Hard Rain: America in the 1960s. It was an interesting discussion of how the 60s parallels what is happening in the country and the world today.



I was honored and humbled (if you were there, you could tell) to be on the Exploring Alabama Outdoors panel with Craig Guver, author of Lizards and Snakes of Alabama, and William Deutsche, author of Alabama Rivers: A Celebration and Challenge.


It was a fascinating 50-minutes talking about Alabama’s biodiversity, how the environment - rivers in particular – are facing their biggest challenges to date, and the amazing reptile world the state hosts. Then our moderator, Kim Nix, turned to me to talk about hiking with your dog and I was barely able to muster phrases like, “uh, yeah. It’s beautiful out there.”


Just kidding. I think the three of us fit together on the panel nicely.

The day also features an Open Mic where writers get 15-minutes to tell or read one of their stories of passages from their books. Well, I thought I’d give it a try this year and tell one of my humorous short stories about growing up that was loosely based on faulty memories.


I showed up at the stage and I’m greeted by a woman who introduces herself. I tell her who I am and that I’m scheduled for the 12:15 slot. She says that she is scheduled for 12:15. She said, "Well, I only need 5-minutes. I'll go then that leaves you 10-minutes." 

“Uh..you..uh..I...but..”, he stumbles before reluctantly saying, “Okay.”

Now, when I do the podcasts of these stories just like I used to in my radio days, the basic story starts off being 15 to 20-minutes, then it  morphs into something bigger as when I'm telling it I recall other little bits of the tale or a related story. Before you know it, I've gone 30 to 40-minutes long. 

All week long I practiced the chosen story, honing it down to 15-minutes exactly and promising myself I would not veer off course. But now, only 10-minutes? YIKES!

I quickly regroup and decide instead to tell a story from my new book, Hidden History of Mobile (Alabama). I was winging it. It was a chapter about the Marx Brothers, in particular, Harpo, who had a significant piece of Marx history occur right there in Alabama's Port City.

I didn’t do too bad, but you could tell I was a bit blindsided and derailed by the switch. The story, coincidentally enough, was about the Brothers begin literally derailed on a train. 

ANYWAY, I began and immediately made a glaring mistake, calling the Marx Brother’s aunt "Mimi" instead of "Minnie". For some reason I was confusing John Lennon’s aunt Mimi with the Marx Brother’s aunt Minnie. 

I chuckled to myself thinking, "How appropriate. Just like the comedy group the Firesign Theater's album, All Hail Marx and Lennon."


But, I survived and had a good time with it. Stay tuned. I’ll be posting a condensed video of  both the panel and Open Mic very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment