Pages

Monday, April 1, 2019

And That's a Wrap



All I can say is that the "Wagging Tails and Happy Trails" event at Cheaha State Park was was a blast! As you know, the event was to launch my new book, Best Dog Hikes Alabama, but also to help raise money and adopt a few rescues from the Clay County Animal Shelter in Ashland.


A portion of the book sales from the event went to help the shelter feed the pets in their charge and help pay for vet care. They brought 3 dogs with them and from what I hear, a couple may be finding a home! I'll let you know when we get the good news.

I was talking with the shelter's manager and currently they have 67 rescues but only 2 volunteers and a small staff to take care of them. That means abbreviated walks and socialization. If you live in the Ashland, Alabama, area, please consider volunteering. Whatever time you can spare will be greatly appreciated, and if you can't volunteer or adopt, then please consider giving a donation. Even the smallest amount goes a long way.








I was especially thrilled to meet the Bosarge Family. Mike Bosarge love Cheaha and when he passed away, he left a beautiful legacy - the Mike Bosarge Memorial Dog Park - a great oasis for your pups on top of the state's highest mountain. And people love it! It was crowded with playful pups all day.


Whenever I do a book signing I love to meet fans and FB friends. I was really happy to finally meet Florence Bradley and her hiking partner, JoJo. Florence has been a reader of mine for many years. So, I'm sitting at the signing table when a bag of books plops down in front of me. In that bag was a copy of ALL of my outdoor recreation books to sign! I jokingly tell everyone that Florence belongs to the "Cuhaj Book of the Month Club".


There are so many people to thank for making this event a success and I can't thank them enough: Thanks to Shannon and Brandy with the Animal Medical Center in Anniston who gave some impressive presentations on everything from vaccinations and preventive medicines, to hiking gear, to getting your pup ready for hiking. They put out a lot of information and the crowd was really into it.




Thanks also to the Comb and Collar and their dog Huck for showing us some training secrets.

And of course, the biggest thanks of all to Alabama State Parks, Cheaha State Park, and the two women who made this all happen - park superintendent Ranee Raney and park naturalist Mandy Pearson! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

I was talking with Mandy and we're looking at doing a couple of really special and unique events at Cheaha later this year. Stay tuned for details.

In the meantime, I am starting to look at doing a similar event here on my home turf of Baldwin / Mobile County on the Alabama Gulf Coast. More details to follow.

Thanks again for joining me atop Cheaha! It was great meeting all of you all and we'll do it again VERY soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment