Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Hiking Alabama's 20th Anniversary


Hard to believe but my first book, "Hike America Alabama" (later renamed "Hike Alabama" then renamed - again - to "Hiking Alabama") is celebrating its 20th anniversary! The book is now in its 4th edition, but the first was my favorite.

We're working out some fun events hopefully in October if the numbers of the virus cases ever start dropping in the state and we'll tell you about that as we get closer. I'll tell the story about how the book came about and the name change by Falcon in an upcoming post.

Many people have asked if that edition is still available. It is out of print but available only if you (A) want to buy it for $200 from some used book source on Amazon or (B) well, there is no "B". BUT, in lieu of that, I'm cobbling the book together piece by piece and will be posting each of the four regions over the next four Mondays.

The book began with the Gulf Coast region only because, well, I live there  and that’s where we’ll start eventually working our way up north. These will be PDF files you can download from my website of the original galley from the publisher for each region. I see that the first one is missing the Honorable Mentions, but I'll post those tomorrow for you.


Remember, this is 20 years old. Phone numbers and websites have changed. Trails have changed (for example, the Redoubt Trail at Blakeley Historic State Park is WAY different now), but you will still get a feeling for the locations and how to hike them.

Next Monday - the Southeast Region. Hope you enjoy! And please, feel free to share and I’d love to hear your comments. Here's the link:


No comments:

Post a Comment