Pages

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Red Ink Time



I really don’t know what the best part is of writing a book – completing the first draft, first seeing the cover art, or seeing the ultimate layout and working through edits before it goes into production.

I know, the latter – working the edits – seems more like a chore than a pleasant surprise, but to me, it is exciting to finally get to see what the project will look like when completed and the editing process, at least for me, is a learning process. Only rarely do I wear my heart on my sleeve, take offense to a red mark, and fight for a position. So far, all of my editors have been great and have nailed it every time. Oh, there were times, like when they argued with me when I first wrote in Hiking Alabama that, in many years, Mobile is the wettest city in America. I had to get the staff at the National Weather Service in Mobile to set them right. Same with stating that Mobile was the birthplace of Mardi Gras in America and that Mobile produced more Hall of Fame baseball players than any other city with the exception of New York and Chicago.

But I’m excited because the production editor for my latest book, Hidden History of Mobile, emailed and the edits for the book will be in my inbox this week. I’ll let you know if the editors need correcting or if they nailed it again ;)


The book is slated for release in time for Christmas with what I think are fascinating stories of the first women to arrive in the Port City and their “petticoat revolution” and invention (creation?) of gumbo to the country; the story of Elvis, the Radio Ranch, and a concert at Vigor High School; the unknown story of arguably the most successful free black during reconstruction, Reverend Shandy Jones; the tale of Harpo Marx getting his first real harp; and many, MANY more tales.


Can't wait to see the results and FINALLY, share it with all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment