Pages

Monday, May 20, 2019

Just Another Manic...

How’s it going today for you, gang? I trust your Monday isn't manic.

Me? I’m up to my eyeballs in writing assignments, which is a good thing. I’m tracking down the waterfalls that I want to explore this fall (when there’s rain) for my new Falcon Guide, Hiking Waterfalls in Alabama. So far, I’ve come up with about 150 to take a look at and from that, I’ll cull down the numbers and choose the ones to put in the book. Once again, it will have plenty of information, much more than just maps and directions.


  
I’m really looking forward to hitting the trail again. The last time I went hiking was for my latest book, Best Dog Hikes Alabama. Seems forever ago. Had a serious little surgery that put me down for about 6 months. I’m starting to walk locally here on the Alabama Gulf Coast again and my body is saying, “what the heck are you doing, man?” LOL! It will all come back.



But in the meantime, I’ve been delving deeper into the Hidden History of Mobile. I’m uncovering some fascinating stories including some really neat (there’s a word you don’t hear much these days) tales about the old and long since forgotten Frascati Park just south of the city, a young piano prodigy that played exclusively for the Queen of England, and so much more that I’m having a hard time organizing my notes (a good problem to have). All of the history in the book is not ancient history from the 300 year old city, there are a lot of more recent gems as well about Elvis, some of our famous musicians that have been forgotten like the rockin' and rollin’ Treniers and big band wizard Cootie Williams.

I could go on and on. And I will in later installments.


Don’t you hate it when you realize how fast the year has flown by? Here it is, almost June already. There’s a change in the seasons, that time of year between spring and summer – Prom season! Oh, do I have a tale to tell about that! I’ll have that story for you in the June edition of “Joe’s Shorts”. I think you’ll relate to this one. And don’t forget, my “blast from the past” podcast from the archive will be posted May 29th. Watch out! Uh, I mean, watch for it.

Oh, and don't forget, two presentations and book signings fast approaching - Saturday June 1st at 3pm at Page and Palette in Fairhope, AL (well-behaved dogs are welcome), and Tuesday June 4th at 6pm at Red Beard's Outfitter on Old Shell Rd. in Mobile. 

Here’s to a great week, all! Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment