Pages

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Best Dog Hikes Alabama Update




I've got to tell you, while I am really pleased with the new book, "Best Dog Hikes Alabama", and how it's shaping up, I've had the most difficult time getting it together.

With only 3 months left  until the deadline for turning the manuscript in to Falcon Guides I still have 20 hikes to go to wrap it up. I thought I would have been done by now (I'm the "teacher's pet" when it comes to deadlines, always getting the manuscript done WELL in advance of the deadline) but this one has been one challenge after the other.

First, like many of you, I flu, crashed, and burned the last couple of weeks. First time in decades I had the flu, so that has put a crimp in things

Secondly, my hiking pard Archer T. Dog had issues. TPLO surgery, as a matter of fact, to correct his cranial cruciate ligament (knees and such). We were hiking at Blakeley Historic Park on the Alabama Gulf Coast in October. We knew it would have to be corrected sooner or later. Turned out to be sooner. 

So off to Birmingham we went for surgery. The staff and surgeons at Veterinary Surgery of Birmingham did a great job and were very attentive. But, Archer has been down since mid-November and so have I taking care of him.

Well, the good news is he is off rehab now and we're getting ready to test out his bionic leg. Hopefully we're both well enough to get this train back on the track. The bad news is that when the book is over, he'll be going back in to have his OTHER back leg operated on! I'm sure he'll do just fine and will be his bouncy self again before long.

So, off we go! Back at it! With luck we'll be visiting the Wehle Nature Center and their open weekend this Saturday. We'll let you know how it goes. 

Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment