Pages

Friday, January 17, 2020

It's Signing Season




We’re just one week away from my first “Hidden History of Mobile” book signing. It will be Saturday, January 25th from 3 to 4pm at Page and Palette in Fairhope, Alabama (directions below).

I really enjoy these events where I get to meet old friends and make new ones. It's fun when folks stop by and I get to engage them in the book's topic. Oh, there have been some “interesting” signings. Here's a sample of some past conversations I have had at the old signing table:


A signing for Hiking Alabama, 4th Edition:

Store manager: “I didn’t know where to set you up so I put you next to the Duck Dynasty display. That ties in with your book, right?”

A signing for Best Tent Camping Alabama:

A couple thumbing through the book: “So, how does sex work in a tent?”

I directed them to the sports section where there was actually a book on the subject.

The release of Baseball in Mobile at Hank Aaron Stadium:

“Why didn’t you include Max Bilimnick?" A man asks. (The player's name he was asking about is withheld here on purpose)? “

“Didn’t you read the introduction?” I ask. “We point out that it would be impossible to include every player that ever played in Mobile for this little book.”

“Yes, I read the book from cover to cover. But why didn’t you include Max Bilimnick?”

Paddling Alabama during a signing and presentation:

“So, what did you wear?” an audience member asks.

Not knowing what he was getting at, I answered, “Uh, clothes?”

“No! What did you wear?”

“Jeans,” co-author Curt Burdick replies.

“NO! WHAT DID YOU WEAR???”

We start shooting out answers like a scene from a Monty Python movie, still not sure what he was implying: “Bow tie? Flippers? Lead weights?”

“NO, morons!” the man shouts. “What type of life vest were you wearing?”

And at almost EVERY signing:

“So, how much is this book?”

“Priceless,” I answer.


Ah, good times.

There are more signings coming up. I’ll keep you posted. In the meantime, I’m looking forward seeing you next Saturday!

Click here for directions to Page and Palette.

No comments:

Post a Comment