Pages

Friday, November 15, 2019

And So it Begins





FINALLY, after a rough year of health issues, I’m getting to hit the road tomorrow begin writing “Hiking Waterfalls of Alabama”! I can’t wait! I’ll be starting easy, just to get back into the swing of things – you know, things like, oh, reacquainting myself with the GPS, my routine for taking notes and photos, remembering how to walk without tripping on roots (just kidding). You know, minor things like that. I’m going to start with some easy hikes to get back into hiking form. I’ll be heading up to Birmingham to hit several falls – getting reacquainted with Moss Rock, Peavine, Falling Rock, and Boulder Canyon. That should get me started then the real research begins in the north of the state – the Sipsey, northwest and northeast Alabama, Talladega National Forest, etc.

Several people have asked if the book will be strictly about the Sipsey Wilderness and Bankhead Forest, after all, they are called the “Land of a Thousand Waterfalls”. No, it’s not only about the Sipsey although it will include plenty of hikes from there.

I have found over 150 waterfalls to investigate across the state. I’ll cull out the ones on private property, manmade spillways, falls next to highways, etc., to make it a true guide to hiking waterfalls in the state. The only drawback is, as always, the publisher limits the number of treks. I’m buttering them up to expand the number. Wish me luck.

See y’all in B’Ham this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment