Pages

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

The Adventure Continues...

Hi, again, everyone. 

I am thrilled to announce that the contract has been signed and I am all set to begin work on a new book, Best Dog Hikes Alabama. Well, sort of ready to begin.

But as with all of my books, getting started is always the hardest part. Something always happens. This time, my excitement to hit the trail again was quelled when my hiking companion, Archer T. Dog, tore a ligament this week and will be undergoing surgery in two weeks. That delays my start a bit but with a little rehab, plenty of healthy kibble, and TLC he’ll be good as new and we’ll get this party started.

After 18 years and 7 books (not including 4 editions of Hiking Alabama) I have finally learned my lesson. Usually I get an offer like “can you have the manuscript done in 6 months?” to which I say,
“sure!” which I immediately regret. This time I have one year to complete the manuscript and turn it in for editing. It’s good to have a little breathing room.

The hardest part of writing a guide book like this isn’t the research and writing. For me that’s the fun part. It’s the planning – which trails to include? Alabama has so many wonderful destinations that it makes it tough to choose. I’m scouring through pages of spreadsheets right now where I’ve logged every hike I’ve been on and listed some new ones I want to visit. But, the good news is that this time, I have ample time to put figure it out.

One thing I am working on is a way that you, my faithful readers and your dog, will be able to join me on one of my hikes in the Mobile, Montgomery, Birmingham, and Huntsville areas. These hikes will also be a way to help raise money for animal shelters in those areas. As soon as I can get the details together I will pass them along.


Till next time, Happy Snails, er, Trails (sorry J )


No comments:

Post a Comment